Faux-Rubik’s Soma Cube


Back when I was a SAHD-by-day, tutor-by-night the kids and I did a lot of paper pulp projects. We always seemed to have plenty of paper built up, so we had pulp for the making whenever we wanted. As a way to reopen the blog after more than a year without posting (and hardly any before then) I plan to feature a few of those projects, and any other projects I may do over the summer; hopefully, including a bigger project I’m in holding on final stage of.
This post features one I started back in Philly that I haven’t touched for a long time and decided last night (inspired by some painting my kids did) to finish it.
This project is pretty straightforward. It is simply a soma cube, the pieces of which are made from paper pulp, dressed up with a nice Rubik’s-inspired paint job.
Using rubber bands and the kids’ wooden blocks to construct the formed, I mashed in the paper pulp. I had created a paper pulp soma cube a during my first stint as SAHD that was much uglier. The wetness of the pulp and the amount of smushing need to be fairly consistent to get similarly sized pieces and they still are not going to be tightly fitting. If that is important to you, use a different medium or be much better than me.
After all the pieces dry, put them together to form the cube and write down the configuration. I did a 3D exploded sketch of them and then beside them put six directional arrows labeled with the colors of the Rubik’s cube. Look at a picture of the cube to arrange them appropriately. I first outlined each piece with black acrylic paint, then completed the face colors.
It was a pretty simple project to create but I’m still pretty happy with the concept and the final project, not to mention the relaxing process of creating it.


Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.